Welcome to the life and times of John, Alisha, Micah, Caleb and Lima the dog!

Sunday, December 7, 2008

I'm not just a stay at home mom...

I was just reading a blog, and this excerpt really hit home:

If I identify myself as the culture does, as a "stay at home Mom", one who has no intellectual contribution, gross-national product contribution or status symbol contribution, I become just that: a woman who sees herself as one who has grunted and groaned out another human being and now stays behind her four walls, in self-imposed seclusion. Not much of a vision there---it actually sounds strangely psychotic.
If I deem myself as a woman employed by the Creator of everything ever created, as on work assignment in a sacred domain for the sculpting of souls that will exist forever and forever without end, I have a burning passion of purpose. And a paycheck that is said to be beyond what eye or ear can even comprehend!

I have been thinking a lot about this lately.  In my life before kids, I was an equal earner in my marriage, and even before my marriage, I was self-sufficient.  But this excerpt really reminded me that I have a higher calling, and that it's not all about dollars and cents...even in these economically challenging times.

I enjoy getting to raise my kids.  I also enjoy working.  I'm not sure when I will have a paying job again, but I am cherishing the times that I have with my boys.  The time passes all too quickly.

If you want to read the whole blog, here is the link: http://www.aholyexperience.com/2005/05/strange-disappearance.html

0 comments: